Wednesday 22 August 2012

Foundations

I was recently offered the opportunity to tackle some graphic design work for my church, which, for me, is something of a dream come true. I've spent a lot of years trying to reconcile my art and my faith, and figure out where exactly they fit into each other, and here's an opportunity for me to tackle that publicly and get feedback from a bunch of people I respect. Naturally, I went for it.

My pastor, Mike, handed me a theme to work with: Foundations. As a guy who tends to pick out obscure parallels in my life, I find it interesting that this theme kicks off a new year of learning for me. Foundations are where things begin, where they find their support; the coming of September is for me, as it is for all students, a time of preparing for the unknowns of the year ahead. Whatever happens, it will become a foundation for the things that follow. So I've found myself doing a lot of thinking about how this theme intersects my life. What is my foundation as a man of faith? As an artist? As a person in society?  And how do I want to tackle the interpretation of all this as an illustrator? Like I said, I've spent a lot of time trying to reconcile my faith and my art; a big part of that has been trying to figure out how to depict and teach the lessons of Christ through art without resorting to cliche imagery. So, I have a challenge ahead of me. Bring it on.

(I'll post the sketches at some point...and more art, as it comes. Until then, my portfolio's at http://vitaeleous.carbonmade.com/. Cheers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment